[Win32utils-devel] [ANN] win32-driveinfo in CVS

Berger, Daniel Daniel.Berger at qwest.com
Wed Feb 9 10:38:08 EST 2005

Wow, that was fast!  Well, since you had originally used a pure Ruby
implementation, I *was* going to suggest you reimplement it using OLE +
WMI:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wmisdk/
wmi/computer_system_hardware_classes.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wmisdk/
wmi/operating_system_classes.asp

I was thinking maybe win32_diskdrive from the hardware classes and/or
the various filesystem classes (win32_logicaldisk, etc).  I've only
spent about 2 minutes looking at those docs this morning, so maybe that
won't work. Also, since you've already reimplemented it once, I dunno
how you feel about reimplementing it again.

Or, we could provide both, giving the users a choice during
installation.  Maybe Shanko would like to take a stab at that. :)

I was also thinking some more about Mike's filesystem API.  I think we
can simulate "Filesystem.stat" easily enough with the information being
returned from the "getDriveInfo" method you have now.  The struct
members wouldn't be identical, but close enough.  The
"FileSystem.mounts" method looks like its the same sort of info returned
by your getVolumeInfo method.

That being said, I don't want you to think you're limited to those two
methods.  We can have more methods, just as long as those two are
defined.

What do folks think?