[Win32utils-devel] SHGetFolderPath and stuff

Berger, Daniel Daniel.Berger at qwest.com
Mon Feb 7 11:06:19 EST 2005

Hi all,

It looks like we have a consensus on using the 'Dir' class for these -

The docs for SHGetFolderPath() say that only "some" of the CSIDL
constants are supported.  It lists 16, but in my experiments many more
than that are supported.  However, some are not.

The odd thing is that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for
why some CSIDL's are supported and some are not.  For example, I get a
return value for CSIDL_MYVIDEO but not for CSIDL_MYDOCUMENTS on my
Windows XP Box.  Why?  Dunno.

So, I will just have to make sure that I document the 16 "officially"
supported values, and the rest will just have to be trial and error for
the users.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, SHGetSpecialFolderPath() fares no
better.  It does worse, actually.