[Win32utils-devel] question about changejournal

Daniel Berger djberg96 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 14:30:09 EST 2005

Park Heesob wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Finally I implemented the fullpath support for changejournal.
>
>Now you can get path info like this:
>
>rv = cj.wait(30){ |ss| ss.each { |s|
>   puts "Something changed"
>   puts "File: " + s.file_name
>   puts "Action: " + s.action
>   puts "Path : " + s.path
>   }
>}
>
>Regards,
>
>Park Heesob

Hi,

I'm back. :)

If you meant to attach the changes, they did not come through properly -
just a bunch of junk characters came through instead.

Using a database seems like a lot of work for such a small benefit.  I
noticed this comment from the article you posted earlier:

"Developers familiar with the Windows 2000 DDK may be aware of kernel
mode APIs or undocumented NTDLL APIs that will convert FRNs to path
names directly, but we don't recommend this since Microsoft may change
the format of these functions in future releases."

Do you happen to know what these undocumented functions are?  My feeling
is that if they work with NT/2000/XP/2003, we ought to use those
instead.  That is, unless you feel strongly against using them.  I
realize MS *could* change the functions, but it seems unlikely.  If
these undocumented functions do happen to work, then we could use those
and revisit the issue again when LongHorn is released.