[Win32utils-devel] Symlinks for Windows

Daniel Berger djberg96 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 12:03:56 EDT 2005

On 4/30/05, Zach Dennis <zdennis at mktec.com> wrote:
> Daniel Berger wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Dave Burt mentioned the possibility of adding symlinks
> > to the Dir class.
> >
> > http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml#junction
> >

> > There is also Autrijus Tang's symlink Perl module at
> > http://search.cpan.org/~autrijus/Win32-Symlink-0.04/
> >
> > Looks easy enough, but it only seems to work for
> > directories, not regular files.  Should we add this to
> > the Directory class, or simply define it for the File
> > class with a big warning sticker?  The former seems to
> > make more sense, but the latter helps keep things
> > portable and familiar.
> >
> > What's the consensus?
> >

> Did this ever happen. I can't find it in any of the win32 packages....
> am i missing something? Thanks,
>
> Zach

Nope, hasn't happened yet.  I'm still mulling it over.  I noticed that
some Perl folks got confused by Autrijus' module with regards to the
file versus directory issue, so now I'm leaning towards adding this to
win32-dir as Dir.junction and Dir#junction? instead of File.symlink
and File#symlink?

However, if anyone feels strongly one way or the other, I'm listening.