[Win32utils-devel] RE: Another Interesting "Problem" with Win32-EventLog

win32utils-devel at rubyforge.org win32utils-devel at rubyforge.org
Tue Oct 19 10:35:19 EDT 2004

I *thought* you could do
EventLog.read(source,server,EventLog::SEEK_READ,record_num), but it's
always coming back nil for me.  Hm...another test to add.

> I notice that the EventLog class doesn't mixin
> Enumerable; was this by design or is it a consequence of
> having C code
> underneath? Just wondering.

I don't that it makes sense to mixin Enumerable - where should "each" be
defined?.  However, I can tell you that in the next release the
EventLog#read will return an array in non-block form.  So, you can
enumerate over the returned array, e.g. EventLog.read.each or
EventLog.read[23] or whatever.
> >Is there any chance you can narrow down a particular message it's
> >failing on?  Is it always at the same point?  Perhaps
> something about
> >the quantity or formatting of the event description is causing a
> >problem.
> >

> I'll let you know as soon as I have some more results.

My suggestion would be to find the record number it's failing on, and
copy/paste the description (as well as any other information) via the
Event Viewer GUI into an email. :)