[Win32utils-devel] open3 for windows

win32utils-devel at rubyforge.org win32utils-devel at rubyforge.org
Tue Oct 5 09:47:46 EDT 2004

> Hi all,
Hi Dan,

> The topic of creating a unified API for open3 for Windows came up at
> RubyConf 2004 this year.
> Park, I was wondering if you would mind if we modified win32_popen so that
> the API matches the open3 library that ships with Ruby.
I always hope Ruby installer include win32_popen. Of couse I don't mind API detail and
the open3.rb compatible API is seems good idea.

> This also means deciding whether or not to leave in the open2, open4, and
> posix stuff.  I guess it doesn't hurt to leave this in, although Open3.open4
> seems a bit off ;)  I suppose we could argue that "Open3" was a poorly
> chosen module name, but it's too late now I think.
Yes, I guess it is not easy to change Open3 for historical reason.:)

> Also, I had some trouble with win32_popen on XP Home although it seems to
> work fine on my Win2k box.  The input handle is fine, but the output and
> error handles came back as nil.  I'll double check this week to make sure.
My PC is XP Prof. and it seems to work fine. Please inform me the result of your checks.

Park Heesob.