[Win32utils-devel] open3 for windows

win32utils-devel at rubyforge.org win32utils-devel at rubyforge.org
Mon Oct 4 21:39:55 EDT 2004

Hi all,

The topic of creating a unified API for open3 for Windows came up at
RubyConf 2004 this year.

Park, I was wondering if you would mind if we modified win32_popen so that
the API matches the open3 library that ships with Ruby.

This also means deciding whether or not to leave in the open2, open4, and
posix stuff.  I guess it doesn't hurt to leave this in, although Open3.open4
seems a bit off ;)  I suppose we could argue that "Open3" was a poorly
chosen module name, but it's too late now I think.

Also, I had some trouble with win32_popen on XP Home although it seems to
work fine on my Win2k box.  The input handle is fine, but the output and
error handles came back as nil.  I'll double check this week to make sure.

What do you think?