[Win32utils-devel] nread and nwrite optimizations

win32utils-devel at rubyforge.org win32utils-devel at rubyforge.org
Wed Nov 17 10:50:19 EST 2004

Hi all,

So far, so good.  Things seem to work just fine and, in the case of
nread, I am getting incredible performance.  I can't tell if this is due
to some kind of caching, however.

Anyway, there a couple of things I want to work out yet.  The first is
File#nread and Really Big Files.  I created a 500 mb text file and
sucked it into memory using Ruby's File#read method just fine.  However,
when I tried to use File#nread, it eventually died with a memory
allocation error.  Since I have 1GB of RAM (and wasn't using much), I'm
not sure why it would complain.

The second issue is getting FILE_FLAG_NO_BUFFERING to work.  Mostly I
just want to see if this will lead to a significant performance increase
with reads and writes.  But, using it has certain requirements that I
don't totally understand.

Any ideas for these two issues are definitely welcome.