[Win32utils-devel] win32-thread experiment

win32utils-devel at rubyforge.org win32utils-devel at rubyforge.org
Fri Dec 17 01:59:20 EST 2004

Hi Dan,

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:22:19 +0900, Daniel Berger  wrote:
> I've tried tinkering with rb_gc_disable() and rb_gc_start() in various
> places in the code but I haven't had any luck.  I'm still getting
> segfaults.
>
> Feel free to join the win32utils-devel mailing list.  I'd be happy to
> hear any ideas you have. :)

Actually, I have joined the win32utils-devel mailing list.  I gave you
a little help with converting FILE* to fileno or to HANDLE back in
November :)

On the threading, what if you call rb_gc_disable(), then create some
win32 threads and see if you still get segfaults?  (Don't ever call
rb_gc_start).

Of course, if the threads are doing much with Ruby objects they'll be
creating garbage, so at some point the process will run out of memory
due to the lack of GC.  This is just an experiment to see if threads
can run happily if GC is off.  If so, we can try to figure out where
to go from here.

Wayne