[Weft QDA users] PDF import question

Alex Fenton alex at pressure.to
Mon Aug 15 11:38:59 EDT 2005

Hi Jen

Glad that solved the immediate problem.

You're right that PDFs are imported as text only. This is because Weft
deliberately uses plain text rather than formatted text for storage,
coding and display, unlike most recent commercial CAQDAS packages. This
makes the application much more straightforward to write and use, but
doesn't help if you want to work with formatted text ;).

I personally haven't ever found much practical use for formatted text in
my own analyses, so I'm always interested to learn more about situations
where it is desirable. There might be another way around the problem.
Incidentally, I'm not aware of any CAQDAS packages that support
formatted import from PDFs.

You're also right that the PDF import works best with flowing text (eg
journal articles) at the moment, as it can jam lines together in outline
formats. I'm hoping that this can be improved in future versions.

best wishes
alex