[webgen-users] gem version dependencies

Thomas Leitner t_leitner at gmx.at
Mon Nov 3 15:00:53 EST 2008

Am Sun, 2 Nov 2008 01:36:11 -0800 (PST)
schrieb felix <felix.mccoey at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> just been having a few issues getting the latest gem install from
> rubyforge. It seems that it need specific versions
>
> ie.
> facets (= 2.4.3)
> rubyforge (= 1.0.0)
>
> This is fine but I actually have newer version of most of these
> dependencies installed ie. rubyforge 1.0.1 is installed (and is
> required for other projects). When trying to run webgen it is loading
> the newer version first and then cannot load the version that it
> depends on. This could be an issue with rubygems (I have version 1.2.0
> installed) but it seems that the dependencies for webgen could be a
> little more relaxed (using >= instead of =). Does this make sense?
>
> Either that or have it load the gem version that it depends on (load
> rubyforge 1.0.0 specifically). I am no rubygem expert so I don't know
> if this is possible.
>
> Basically, I would like to install webgen alongside my other, newer,
> gems.

This *should* work. When you install webgen via Rubygems, the exact
versions of the dependencies are installed. When you run webgen, the
Rubygems' installed binary calls

    gem 'webgen'

with the correct version (ie. normally the latest if you don't specify
a Rubygems version argument to the webgen executable) and loads the
correct dependencies. A further call to, for example, require 'facets',
should load the facets library of the correct version (=2.4.3). The
only problem that could arise is when you are writing an extension that
uses another version of facets since two versions of the same library
can't be loaded at the same time. After installing facets-2.4.5 on my
machine webgen works without complaints.

I have been using fixed version dependencies after an update to
the facets library caused webgen to stop working and after some
discussions on this mailing list.

So to the problem at hand: could you please give me the output of 'gem
list' so I can investigate further? And do you use any non-webgen
shipped extensions?

-- Thomas