[Vit-discuss] Ruby-lang web server options.

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Wed Sep 13 11:21:02 EDT 2006

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, John W. Long wrote:

> Hugh Sasse wrote:
> > OK, I've looked at the radiant site, downloaded the source.  It's
> > based on Rails but I've not done enough with Rails plugins to know
> > what do do about this.  Also, looking at the Radiant CMS site I
> > see tabs along the top for everything except documentation, so I
> > can't quickly browse to lookup the information I need to do this.
> > Rails requires some kind of web server, so my assumption about apache
> > seems to be correct:
>
> You need to create a plugin in the vendor/plugins directory:
>
> vendor/plugins/my_plugin_name
> - lib # plugin files
> - init.rb # loaded when rails is loaded
>
> You can look at the source of the plugins we currently have installed to
> get an idea of how they are done:
>
> http://rubyidentity.org/ruby-lang.org/browser/ruby-lang.org/trunk/www/vendor/plugins/
>
> To do the header stuff you need to add a Rails before_filter (see the
> docs) which modifies the headers on the response object. For the Gzip
> stuff we may have to do something Apache related for that.

There's too much for me to get wrong to make this worthwhile, given
all the other stuff I have to do at the moment.  Were I more fluent
in Rails I'd consider tackling this, but I've hardly touched Rails
since March, and given that I was following the book, and scaffolds
are now pretty much deprecated, for example, I consider that I'd be
more hindrance than help.

The Apache filters page

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/filter.html

says you get mod_deflate as standard.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html

This talks about turning this off for some browsers.  It doesn't
mention responding automatically to the Accept-Encoding header,
so I don't understand why it should be necessary to turn this off
for some browsers: browsers that don't want compression should
not be asking for it, servers should not deliver compression
unless it is asked for.  So I've not entered this minefield with
my server, because the setup at least works now.  I'd like to do
it better, but the above time constraints apply.

        Hugh