[Vit-discuss] Ruby-lang web server options.

John W. Long ng at johnwlong.com
Wed Sep 13 10:52:25 EDT 2006

Hugh Sasse wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Hugh Sasse wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, John W. Long wrote:
>>> If you'd like to write a plugin for Radiant that turns adds these
>> Oh, it's radiant, not apache.
> OK, I've looked at the radiant site, downloaded the source.  It's
> based on Rails but I've not done enough with Rails plugins to know
> what do do about this.  Also, looking at the Radiant CMS site I
> see tabs along the top for everything except documentation, so I
> can't quickly browse to lookup the information I need to do this.
> Rails requires some kind of web server, so my assumption about apache
> seems to be correct:

You need to create a plugin in the vendor/plugins directory:

- lib # plugin files
- init.rb # loaded when rails is loaded

You can look at the source of the plugins we currently have installed to
get an idea of how they are done:

To do the header stuff you need to add a Rails before_filter (see the
docs) which modifies the headers on the response object. For the Gzip
stuff we may have to do something Apache related for that.

John Long