[Vit-discuss] Ruby-lang web server options.

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Wed Sep 13 06:13:14 EDT 2006

I've been using wget to get the pages from ruby-lang.org, with a view
to creating an alternate style sheet.  Somebody turned off my PC, so
I had to restart this and added the -N option to not get anything I'd
already got.  As a result I see:

Length: unspecified [text/html]
Last-modified header missing -- time-stamps turned off.

I'm thinking that it might be useful to get timestamping turned on.
I've read up a bit on things like this, a while back, and I couldn't
actually figure out how to get apache to do this, or to add Etags
which seems to be difficult on an NFS file system, IIRC, anyway.  It
might also benefit the server if mod_gzip were available, (which it
may be).  All of these features are intended to reduce bandwith by
allowing the client to know that things haven't changed, except for
mod_gzip which does it by means of compression.

Anyway, if anyone has good recipes for getting this stuff working
I'd be interested for our server.