[Vit-discuss] Top Ruby Projects algorithm?

pat eyler pat.eyler at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 16:21:32 EDT 2006

On 9/4/06, Martin DeMello <martindemello at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/5/06, James Britt <james.britt at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Martin DeMello wrote:
> >
> > > We've gone full circle :) I came up with the spotlight idea as an
> > > alternative to the library listings; Pat kindly offered to run them on
> > > the O'Reilly blog when that idea was vetoed.
> >
> > Sorry; I missed the post where it went from discussion topic to rejected
> > by some vote or decree.   It's unclear to me how such things get
> > decided, or when, though it seems that whomever is doing the actual work
> > on this or that just makes a decision and goes with it.    (Which may be
> > a reasonable way to do things.  At least stuff gets done.)
> The design decision was "automated is better than non-", which I
> actually agree with. Would still like to see the spotlights somewhere
> on the ruby-lang page at some point, if not necessarily replacing the
> "top projects".

They can be reused from the ORA Ruby blog (the license is here:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/ ), or the original
author (in this case, Martin) should be able to separately license the
material to the ruby-lang website.

I'd certainly like to see the materials on the ruby-lang website
if the maintainers are willing.  My offer to post them at ORA
was a "second best".  The main thing to me is that we get
them in front of the Ruby community.