[Vit-discuss] Documentation Page

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 17:45:09 EDT 2006

evan at protest.net wrote:
> On Sep 1, 2006, at 2:16 PM, James Britt wrote:
>>evan at protest.net wrote:
>>>Probably a good idea to link to rails documentation page as i'm sure
>>>folks will come here looking for rails documentation.
>>And include the Nitro, IOWA, Rmagick, Rake, etc. doc links as well.
>>People use them, too, and look for docs about them, too, and Ruby
>>is not
>>about just what's popular.
> But those libraries, as good as they are, don't have 'Ruby' in their
> name, nor are they the killer app which has taken ruby from a very
> cool but obscure language to one with thousands of full time paid
> developers being able to work in the language.

Good. I hope all of that gets mentioned on the Rails site, where it
belongs.  Be careful, though, in suggesting that merely having "Ruby" in
a lib name grants it special status.

> Sorry for starting a flamewar here, but the anti-rails bias going in
> to the ruby-lang website is really disturbing. The site should be
> about serving the needs of the ruby community, the whole community.
> Both rails, and all the other good libraries out there should be
> promoted.

You are wrong. Asking that the Ruby language site focus on the Ruby
language, and not give special care to this or that library, is not
anti-Rails.  I no more want to see Rake or Nitro or Hpricot got special
mention, and that is not because I'm against them, either.

James Britt