[Vit-discuss] Documentation Page

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 17:25:49 EDT 2006

James Britt wrote:
> evan at protest.net wrote:
>
>>Probably a good idea to link to rails documentation page as i'm sure
>>folks will come here looking for rails documentation.
>>
>>http://rubyonrails.org/docs
>

> And include the Nitro, IOWA, Rmagick, Rake, etc. doc links as well.
>
> People use them, too, and look for docs about them, too, and Ruby is not
> about just what's popular.

OK, now here's my more mature, less snarkish suggestion:

Do not link to specific 3rd-party docs.  Instead, explain how to find
them.  Most Ruby projects of any size or popular use have an entry on
RubyForge.org.  Tell people to search there. I bet that covers 98% of
all projects people will look for.

People who do not care to use RF for cvs/svn hosting should consider
having a bare project entry, with links to where the real code and code
live, so as to aid in such discovery.

This eliminates any favoritism or popularism , and, more importantly,
offloads the maintenance of tool/lib documentation info to the people
who actual own the projects.

--

James Britt