[Vit-discuss] CSS mods: low vision, a first step (patch) (fwd)

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Mon Nov 27 05:27:29 EST 2006

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, John W. Long wrote:

> Hugh Sasse wrote:
> > I submitted this patch 2 months ago.  In case it has been completely
> > forgotten I'm submitting it in full again.  I'm doing this because
> > I've seen no changes along these lines on the website.
> Hugh, I'm looking at your style sheets now. From what I can tell you've
> basically increased the font-size on a couple of elements and changed
> the links in the sidebar to bright blue. Were there other changes?

Yes, I've changed the search box so its border is thicker, so it is
clearly visible.  I've also made the footnote text which is pale grey
into a darker colour so it is more legible.   I have tried to maintain
the "house style" as far as possible.
> Have you considered how the site appears to people who are color blind?

At the moment I have only addressed the problems for those with low acuity,
who will need better contrast and bigger text.  This is an area more
familiar to me than the other areas that need addressing.  Once there
is one alternate stylesheet, and the mechanism established for others,
I'm sure you'll get contributions for other matters.  Those that I can
foresee include:

  * As you say colourblindness.  There is red/green and blue/yellow
    prinicipally, but I think there are people who see in black and white

  * Braille users: depending on the browser they use, the multicolumn
    layout may be a problem.  But it's a few years since I looked at
    this and the tech to support it may have overcome that.

  * People browsing with speech.   The situation is similar to braille,
    in many respects.

  * Deaf users if/when there is audio content, podcasts etc.

As I pointed out, this is just a start.

        Thank you,