[Vit-discuss] CSS mods: low vision, a first step (patch) (fwd)

John W. Long ng at johnwlong.com
Thu Dec 7 10:24:21 EST 2006

Hugh Sasse wrote:
> I've asked on the Firefox site. Not many browsers do this, apparently
> and I was referred to here:
> http://alistapart.com/stories/alternate/
> which is how to use cookies to do this.   A quick look through shows
> it does use JavaScript to do this and handle IE not providing menus
> for alternate stylesheets.  And I can't see any in IE 7.
> Also it is unclear what is to happen when cookies are disabled.
> There is a certain level of suspicion about cookies, and I don't
> think things should break if they are turned off.  It might be worth
> noting what we are using them for.  I'm not fluent in JavaScript at
> all.

The one site I did something similar to this on was:

A friend of mine actually did the coding though. I think she used the
same ALA article that you refer to.

The presentation is also nice:

   Select a theme: clean | periwinkle | olive | midnight | tropical

Perhaps ours could say:

   Stylesheet: Default | Low Vision ...

Would you be able to pull this together Hugh? Be sure to put as much of
the javascript into a separate file.

John Long