[Vit-discuss] CSS mods: low vision, a first step (patch) (fwd)

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Thu Dec 7 05:16:48 EST 2006

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, John W. Long wrote:

> >> I made a few minor changes and put it live.
> >
> > Thanks.  That is working for me.  Couple of things:
> >
> > 1 In firefox the choice of stylesheet isn't sticky: I don't get that
> >   style for all pages having chosen it once.  Is this possible, or
> >   do I need to tweak firefox, somehow?
>
> I'm not sure. I don't do much with alternate stylesheets myself. Please
> do investigate. We may need to use javascript to set a cookie to
> preserve the stylesheet choice.

I've asked on the Firefox site. Not many browsers do this, apparently
and I was referred to here:

http://alistapart.com/stories/alternate/

which is how to use cookies to do this.   A quick look through shows
it does use JavaScript to do this and handle IE not providing menus
for alternate stylesheets.  And I can't see any in IE 7.
Also it is unclear what is to happen when cookies are disabled.
There is a certain level of suspicion about cookies, and I don't
think things should break if they are turned off.  It might be worth
noting what we are using them for.  I'm not fluent in JavaScript at
all.

I've asked about modifying Firefox, or possibly Adblock to provide
this, and what I'd need to do to get this as an RFE, but that only
helps FireFox users, of course.

        Hugh