[Vit-discuss] CSS mods: low vision, a first step (patch) (fwd)

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Wed Dec 6 05:02:12 EST 2006

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, John W. Long wrote:

> >> I made a few minor changes and put it live.
> >
> > Thanks.  That is working for me.  Couple of things:
> >
> > 1 In firefox the choice of stylesheet isn't sticky: I don't get that
> >   style for all pages having chosen it once.  Is this possible, or
> >   do I need to tweak firefox, somehow?
> I'm not sure. I don't do much with alternate stylesheets myself. Please
> do investigate. We may need to use javascript to set a cookie to
> preserve the stylesheet choice.

OK, I'll see if I can find out from the Mozilla Forum.
> > 2 It might be worth adding this change as a news item for the site.
> >
> >   Maybe something like:
> >
> >     We have started to provide alternate stylesheets for this site.
> >     As a first attempt we have a sheet for people with low vision, which
> >     enlarges the text a little, increases the contrast in some places
> >     but generally tries to keep the experience the same.  We'd like
> >     feedback on this, and contributions of other stylesheets.  There
> >     has been discussion of white on black, or black on yellow colour
> >     schemes for example.   We also don't have any stylesheets for
> >     braille devices yet.
> >
> >   This probably depends on how this supply of stylesheets will scale,
> >   how you plan to manage the flood [!], etc.  You can give me the
> >   blame for the inadequacy of this sheet if you wish, since it doesn't
> >   do all I'd wish to provide.
> Perhaps an announcement on Ruby-Talk asking for feedback on just low
> vision stylesheet would be more appropriate?

> One thing we should be clear on is that we are not accepting alternate
> stylesheets just to suite a user's stylistic preferences. We would like
> to make the site more accessible to a broader range of people. An

Yes, agreed.  Otherwise we end up with a vast number, because "the
oceans are just the wrong shade of pink"...

> alternate high-contrast stylesheet in the same style as the original
> with minimal changes would be acceptable. Also a stylesheet for braille
> devices would be acceptable. A totally different stylesheet would not be
> acceptable.

Which is why my changes were so conservative.  Hmm, given you are probably
more aware of the constraints on the CMS, on those who have commit access,
etc, would you like to draft and/or just send the message to Ruby-Talk?
I'm happy if you use the above text that I wrote as a starter.  That way
there are only volunteers, no pressmen, so to speak :-)
        Thank you,