[Vit-discuss] CSS mods: low vision, a first step (patch) (fwd)

John W. Long ng at johnwlong.com
Tue Dec 5 15:58:01 EST 2006

Hugh Sasse wrote:
>>> Here is the first cut, which does't quite follow the above scheme,
>>> the low vision stylesheets @import from their default equivalents:
>> I made a few minor changes and put it live.
> Thanks.  That is working for me.  Couple of things:
> 1 In firefox the choice of stylesheet isn't sticky: I don't get that
>   style for all pages having chosen it once.  Is this possible, or
>   do I need to tweak firefox, somehow?

I'm not sure. I don't do much with alternate stylesheets myself. Please
do investigate. We may need to use javascript to set a cookie to
preserve the stylesheet choice.

> 2 It might be worth adding this change as a news item for the site.
>   Maybe something like:
>     We have started to provide alternate stylesheets for this site.
>     As a first attempt we have a sheet for people with low vision, which
>     enlarges the text a little, increases the contrast in some places
>     but generally tries to keep the experience the same.  We'd like
>     feedback on this, and contributions of other stylesheets.  There
>     has been discussion of white on black, or black on yellow colour
>     schemes for example.   We also don't have any stylesheets for
>     braille devices yet.
>   This probably depends on how this supply of stylesheets will scale,
>   how you plan to manage the flood [!], etc.  You can give me the
>   blame for the inadequacy of this sheet if you wish, since it doesn't
>   do all I'd wish to provide.

Perhaps an announcement on Ruby-Talk asking for feedback on just low
vision stylesheet would be more appropriate?

One thing we should be clear on is that we are not accepting alternate
stylesheets just to suite a user's stylistic preferences. We would like
to make the site more accessible to a broader range of people. An
alternate high-contrast stylesheet in the same style as the original
with minimal changes would be acceptable. Also a stylesheet for braille
devices would be acceptable. A totally different stylesheet would not be

John Long