[Vit-discuss] CSS mods: low vision, a first step (patch) (fwd)

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Tue Dec 5 15:21:17 EST 2006

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, John W. Long wrote:

> Hugh Sasse wrote:
> > Here is the first cut, which does't quite follow the above scheme,
> > the low vision stylesheets @import from their default equivalents:
>
> I made a few minor changes and put it live.

Thanks.  That is working for me.  Couple of things:

1 In firefox the choice of stylesheet isn't sticky: I don't get that
  style for all pages having chosen it once.  Is this possible, or
  do I need to tweak firefox, somehow?

2 It might be worth adding this change as a news item for the site.

  Maybe something like:

    We have started to provide alternate stylesheets for this site.
    As a first attempt we have a sheet for people with low vision, which
    enlarges the text a little, increases the contrast in some places
    but generally tries to keep the experience the same.  We'd like
    feedback on this, and contributions of other stylesheets.  There
    has been discussion of white on black, or black on yellow colour
    schemes for example.   We also don't have any stylesheets for
    braille devices yet.

  This probably depends on how this supply of stylesheets will scale,
  how you plan to manage the flood [!], etc.  You can give me the
  blame for the inadequacy of this sheet if you wish, since it doesn't
  do all I'd wish to provide.

That's about it for now, I think.  Thanks for installing this.

> Thanks Hugh!

        Hugh