[Vit-discuss] CSS mods: low vision, a first step (patch) (fwd)

John W. Long ng at johnwlong.com
Sat Dec 2 07:37:30 EST 2006

Hugh Sasse wrote:
>> your work on it. My worry is that the maintenance needs for alternate
>> stylesheets will outweigh their value. Particularly, as newer browsers
>> are released and the need to revisit stylesheets becomes apparent.  One
>> of the hazards of maintaining multiple versions of a product is that it
>> can greatly reduce the speed in which changes can be made. Since our
> OTOH, can CSS do #include or require or something to manage changes?
> (I don't work in CSS that often, so am not au fait with its lesser
> used features).  A quick hunt through the spec suggests @import
> may be applicable here
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/cascade.html#at-import
> so some refactoring may be possible.

After thinking about this a little more I am willing to reconsider.
@import is the appropriate method. Can you get me a version of your
changes that uses @import?

Basically it should work like this:

     @import url(/stylesheets/shared.css);
     @import url(/stylesheets/high.css);
     @import url(/stylesheets/low_vision_high.css);

Styles in low_vision_high.css should include styles that override the
styles in the other two for low vision users. You can use !important to
enforce the rule when necessary. For instance:

   body {
     font-size: %120 !important;

As you said, keeping it DRY is important. Let me know if you have any

> I have put quite a bit of work into Ruby, particularly its
> documentation, getting a whole slew of files added into the Rdoc set
> for 1.8.5 by working on the .document files, for example.  Now it
> feels as though I'm being told to go away for a year or two.  It's
> pretty difficult not to take offense at this. ...

Forgive me Hugh. I didn't mean to minimize your contributions to Ruby or
the help that you are offering for the Ruby Web site. Please understand
that the site has large number of users and we try to balance the needs
of all of the users in the changes that we work on. That said making the
site accessible to people with visual impairment is important and I
appreciate your willingness to bring it to our attention.

John Long