[Vit-discuss] CSS mods: low vision, a first step (patch) (fwd)

John W. Long ng at johnwlong.com
Fri Dec 1 11:32:32 EST 2006

Hugh Sasse wrote:
> At the moment I have only addressed the problems for those with low acuity,
> who will need better contrast and bigger text.  This is an area more
> familiar to me than the other areas that need addressing.  Once there
> is one alternate stylesheet, and the mechanism established for others,
> I'm sure you'll get contributions for other matters.

Hugh,

Since the differences between this stylesheet and the old stylesheet are
minimal I've opted not to use this for Ruby-Lang.org. I do appreciate
your work on it. My worry is that the maintenance needs for alternate
stylesheets will outweigh their value. Particularly, as newer browsers
are released and the need to revisit stylesheets becomes apparent.  One
of the hazards of maintaining multiple versions of a product is that it
can greatly reduce the speed in which changes can be made. Since our
staff for Ruby-Lang is entirely volunteer at the moment it seems prudent
that we minimize the maintenance needs of the site.

I hope that this doesn't come as too much of a letdown for you. I
suspect that Ruby-Lang will outgrow the current design at some point in
the next year or two which means that we will probably need to revisit
the design then. Perhaps we can address the issues you have raised at
that time.

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com