[Vit-discuss] User Groups Page

pat eyler pat.eyler at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 18:14:12 EDT 2006

On 8/31/06, John W. Long <ng at johnwlong.com> wrote:
> pat eyler wrote:
> > 1) I like Ruby Brigades as a term, not everyone does, but it might be
> > good to mention the term since a lot of Ruby groups call themselves
> > brigades.
> This is certainly true, but I haven't seen the term used widely outside
> of the Ruby community.

I was more thinking of parellel usage.  Which might help explain it to
newcomers to the community.

> If it helps I did mention the term while talking
> about the mailing list.

I did notice, thanks.  However, there's no clear link from the use there
to the fact that the list is about Ruby groups of any naming preference.

> > 2) hacking nights are gatherings to work on code.  code fests are more
> > of a special occassion, often gathering attendees from multiple Ruby
> > brigades.
> Ok, I've changed it.
> > 3) you might want to point out that most Ruby brigades/groups at least
> > dabble in Rails too.  I'd hate for Railz0rs to go off and start their own
> > group when there's a perfectly good .rb in town.  (I've spent a year
> > fighting this tendency on mailing lists already.)
> I did not deal with Rails specifically, but I did try to deal with this
> some in the last paragraph:

Yeah, I guess it is there implicitly.

>    If you are interested in forming your own group, be sure to find
>    out if there is already a Ruby user group in your area. Larger
>    meetings are usually much more fun, so starting your own group may
>    not be the best option if there is already one nearby.
> I don't think we can adequately express the needs of every sub-culture
> on this page.

True, but Rails is a pretty big sub-culture.  ;^)