[Vit-discuss] Ruby-Lang Redesign Feedback Requested

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Tue Aug 29 11:58:52 EDT 2006

Matt Todd wrote:
> [...] I've taken
> just a short amount of time to roughly cut a bit up into something
> that may be worthy of destroying into conformity. I hope it's
> something that you can use...

Look good ... some comments below ...

> h2. Ruby On Windows
> The Windows platform has several options for installing Ruby. The
> first option is simply installing the compiled binaries. The second
> option is to use the automated installer. If you're unsure about how
> to install Ruby, the automated installer may be the best option for
> you.

I believe the one click installer installs more than a base Ruby
installation.  E.g. it includes things like RubyGems and Rake (and
more).  This is probably worth mentioning.

> h2. Ruby On Linux
> Depending on the distribution you are using, there are several ways to
> install Ruby. The first option is simply to download the source code
> above and compile by hand. However, on some platforms, there are
> package management solutions that make installing Ruby extremely easy.
> On Debian, @apt-get@ provides an easy and elegant solution.
> * @apt-get install ruby1.8 irb1.8 rdoc1.8@

Although I use Debian, I generally install Ruby from source.  However, I
do know that there is a problem in that the obvious install for Ruby
misses some major pieces of functionality.  I see you included irb and
rdoc ... is there anything else the Debian/Unbuntu/whatever user should
also get?

-- Jim Weirich