[Vit-discuss] Ruby-Lang Redesign Feedback Requested

John W. Long ng at johnwlong.com
Tue Aug 29 11:37:07 EDT 2006

Gavin Kistner wrote:
> I'm a little bothered that the new graphic has those two rounded
> corners, but the theme is not carried over to the headers of the other
> sections. It ties the button nicely to the code-snippet box, and in
> doing so makes the right side headers appear to be hacked-on bastard
> children.

The language is a bit strong, but I can see what you mean.

> Further, the 'C' in Robin Williams' C.R.A.P. design principles
> (contrast, repetitition, alignment, position) is somewhat violated in
> the height of the headers compared to the height of the Download Ruby
> graphic. If you're going to make something different, make it DIFFERENT;
> if you make it almost the same it comes off looking inconsistent and
> muddled.

I am a huge fan of Robin Williams' the Non-Designer's Design Book.

> Combining the two above, what if the headers for the sub-sections were
> given the upper-left rounding, and (through font size increase, padding
> increase, or button size decrease) made to be the same height as the
> Download Ruby button?

But that would associate the boxes too closely with the download button.
The reason for the coloring *and* rounded corners is that I was trying
to make it stand out from *and* blend with the objects around it. The
tension between these too goals is somewhat frustrating.

Part of the problem with adding something this significant to the design
this late in the game is that it often ends up looking "tacked on" (as
it does in this case).

The original focus of the design was to showcase Ruby, then to give
people of various skill levels places to go (the 3 boxes on the side),
and finally to highlight recent news, events, etc... When we added the
download button the tight pyramid focus of the design shifted. Instead
of having one main point, we had two. The emphasis on downloading Ruby
is now competing with our main point which was to tell people about
Ruby. This almost bothers me enough to pull the download button completely.

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com