[Vit-discuss] Ruby-Lang Redesign Feedback Requested

Matt Todd chiology at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 10:55:21 EDT 2006

Nitpicking here, but, why put the parens around 'def initialize(name)'
and 'Greeter.new("world")'?

Though I haven't been privy to any of the discussions on the best way
to install Ruby on a Mac (which is my primary platform), I've taken
just a short amount of time to roughly cut a bit up into something
that may be worthy of destroying into conformity. I hope it's
something that you can use...

h2. Ruby Source Code

Installing from the source code is a great solution for when you are
comfortable enough with your platform and perhaps need specific
settings for your environment. It's also a good solution in the event
that there are no other premade packages for your platform.

* "Ruby 1.8.5":ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/ruby-1.8.5.tar.gz
Stable Version (_recommended_)

h2. Ruby On Windows

The Windows platform has several options for installing Ruby. The
first option is simply installing the compiled binaries. The second
option is to use the automated installer. If you're unsure about how
to install Ruby, the automated installer may be the best option for
you.

* "Ruby 1.8.5 Binary":ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/binaries/mswin32/ruby-1.8.5-i386-mswin32.zip
Stable version (_recommended_)
* "Ruby 1.9.0 Binary":ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/binaries/mswin32/ruby-1.9.0-20060415-i386-mswin32.zip
Developers version (_experimental_)
* "Ruby 1.8.4 Installer":http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/11926/ruby184-20.exe
Stable version (_recommended_)

h2. Ruby On Linux

Depending on the distribution you are using, there are several ways to
install Ruby. The first option is simply to download the source code
above and compile by hand. However, on some platforms, there are
package management solutions that make installing Ruby extremely easy.

On Debian, @apt-get@ provides an easy and elegant solution.

* @apt-get install ruby1.8 irb1.8 rdoc1.8@

This also applies to Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and _____(?).

_NOTES FOR LINUX HERE_

h2. Ruby On OS X

There are a number of options on the Macinstosh OS X platform for
installing the latest version of Ruby.
"DarwinPorts":http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/ and "The Fink
Project":http://fink.sourceforge.net/, two very good package
management solutions, provide an easy mechanism for downlowding and
installing Ruby.

On DarwinPorts, you can install Ruby with...

* @port install ruby@

Fink has a graphical interface (using Fink Commander) for installing Ruby.

And, since OS X is based on Unix, downloading and installing from the
source found above is just as easy and effective as the other
solutions.

For a detailed look at installing Ruby (and Rails), Dan Benjamin's
excellent article "Building Ruby, Rails, LightTPD, and MySQL on Tiger"
will get you up and running very quickly.

Cheers!

M.T.