[Vit-discuss] Ruby-Lang Redesign Feedback Requested

Gavin Kistner gavin.kistner at anark.com
Tue Aug 29 00:20:30 EDT 2006

> We've taken your suggestion:
> I'm not sure that I'm totally satisfied with the way it turned
> out (it tends to draw attention away from the other three boxes,
> but I agree with you that the download action should be more
> prominent. (I like that about the Firefox page as well.)

Thanks for the on-going work. I agree that it both detracts from the
other boxes, and at the same time is much nicer in its more prominent
appearance. (And oh so lickable sexy, too. And full of raster goodness,
at least at default font sizes. Danger for the accessibility of
text-as-graphic, at least in principle, though.)

My attempt to be helpful with a bit of design critique:

I'm a little bothered that the new graphic has those two rounded
corners, but the theme is not carried over to the headers of the other
sections. It ties the button nicely to the code-snippet box, and in
doing so makes the right side headers appear to be hacked-on bastard

Further, the 'C' in Robin Williams' C.R.A.P. design principles
(contrast, repetitition, alignment, position) is somewhat violated in
the height of the headers compared to the height of the Download Ruby
graphic. If you're going to make something different, make it DIFFERENT;
if you make it almost the same it comes off looking inconsistent and

Combining the two above, what if the headers for the sub-sections were
given the upper-left rounding, and (through font size increase, padding
increase, or button size decrease) made to be the same height as the
Download Ruby button?