[Vit-discuss] Top Ruby Projects algorithm?

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 18:48:39 EDT 2006

Martin DeMello wrote:
> On 8/26/06, James Britt <james.britt at gmail.com> wrote:
>>Martin DeMello wrote:
>>>On the other hand, the top projects idea does seem to be optimised for
>>>first-time and one-time visitors to the page, which is likely to be
>>>the overwhelming scenario.
>>Optimized for what?  Because first and one-time visitors come there to
>>find a list of (some of) the most-downloaded RubyForge projects?
> Optimised for letting a casual passerby know what some of the popular
> things people are using ruby for are.

I don't see that knowing that Rails and 1-click installer are the
most-oft download packages tells anyone what people are actual using
Ruby for.  Real-world stories might better serve that goal.

>>How do you know that usage by this group constitutes an "overwhelming
>>scenario", and is optimizing that page for first- and one-timers a
>>proper goal?
> Just a guess, but I don't really see anything in the ruby front page
> that will encourage repeat visits by an established rubyist.

But that is by choice.   It seems tautological to say that since the
site seems to favor newcomers, then what goes into the site should be
focused on newcomers.

>> > And top downloads from rubyforge is a very
>> > real measure of how useful people are finding the library.
>>No it's not.  It's a very real measure of how often something has been
>>downloaded.  Beyond that, it's guessing.
> Granted, but if we *are* going to do an automated list of popular
> projects I can't think of a better way to do it.

Yes. My questions are: who are the target audience, what are their
needs, and does a list of what's most-downloaded make the best use of
screen space to address those needs?

James Britt