[Vit-discuss] Top Ruby Projects algorithm?

Martin DeMello martindemello at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 17:50:11 EDT 2006

On 8/26/06, James Britt <james.britt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Martin DeMello wrote:
> > On the other hand, the top projects idea does seem to be optimised for
> > first-time and one-time visitors to the page, which is likely to be
> > the overwhelming scenario.
> Optimized for what?  Because first and one-time visitors come there to
> find a list of (some of) the most-downloaded RubyForge projects?

Optimised for letting a casual passerby know what some of the popular
things people are using ruby for are.

> How do you know that usage by this group constitutes an "overwhelming
> scenario", and is optimizing that page for first- and one-timers a
> proper goal?

Just a guess, but I don't really see anything in the ruby front page
that will encourage repeat visits by an established rubyist.

>  > And top downloads from rubyforge is a very
>  > real measure of how useful people are finding the library.
> No it's not.  It's a very real measure of how often something has been
> downloaded.  Beyond that, it's guessing.

Granted, but if we *are* going to do an automated list of popular
projects I can't think of a better way to do it.