[Vit-discuss] Top Ruby Projects algorithm?

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 17:46:07 EDT 2006

Martin DeMello wrote:

> On the other hand, the top projects idea does seem to be optimised for
> first-time and one-time visitors to the page, which is likely to be
> the overwhelming scenario.

Optimized for what?  Because first and one-time visitors come there to
find a list of (some of) the most-downloaded RubyForge projects?

How do you know that usage by this group constitutes an "overwhelming
scenario", and is optimizing that page for first- and one-timers a
proper goal?

 > And top downloads from rubyforge is a very
 > real measure of how useful people are finding the library.

No it's not.  It's a very real measure of how often something has been
downloaded.  Beyond that, it's guessing.

James Britt

"I never dispute another person's delusions, just their facts."
   - Len Bullard