[Vit-discuss] Top Ruby Projects algorithm?

Martin DeMello martindemello at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 16:48:20 EDT 2006

On 8/26/06, John W. Long <ng at johnwlong.com> wrote:
> Martin DeMello wrote:
> > Agreed. I suggest replacing the "top" list with a weekly project
> > spotlight; I'm sure there are no shortage of people in the community
> > willing to write introductory reviews of their favourite projects.
> > I'll even volunteer to do the first four myself, if you like the idea.
>
> Instead of picking the top 5 what if I coded the algorithm to take the
> top 30 and pick 5 at random from that list?
>
> We could also pull the list from the most active projects, but that list
> seems to favor projects that are updated a lot, which would mean that
> unstable projects would appear more frequently.

I prefer the spotlight idea because it means that some actual human
being has been enthusiastic enough about the project to want to share
his discovery of it with the world.

On the other hand, the top projects idea does seem to be optimised for
first-time and one-time visitors to the page, which is likely to be
the overwhelming scenario. And top downloads from rubyforge is a very
real measure of how useful people are finding the library.

I guess what I'm saying is that I won't complain either way, though my
offer to write a few spotlight posts if you do decide to have them
stands :)

martin