[Vit-discuss] Top Ruby Projects algorithm?

John W. Long ng at johnwlong.com
Thu Aug 24 17:59:18 EDT 2006

David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:
> Fantastic work on the new site. I love the look of it. Can't wait to
> have it be online.
>
> On a small note, I was curious to know what the algorithm for
> filtering the Top Ruby Projects was?

Good question. It's a list I copied from Ruby-Forge a couple of months
ago. Perhaps I should update it. :-)

> It seems that its using
> http://rubyforge.org/top/toplist.php?type=downloads, which is a fine
> thing to do, but I was surprised to see #3 Rails and #4 Instant Rails
> filtered out from the highlights.

I think this was because in the original design we had a Rails related
advertisement on the home page. There is not one there now though, so
maybe we should change it.

I'm trying to see what it would take to have this information
automatically updated.

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com