[Vit-discuss] Ruby-Lang Redesign Feedback Requested

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 17:02:01 EDT 2006

Gavin Kistner wrote:

> 1) Without getting into the (near-religious) design battle of
> user-scalable width versus designer-locked-down width, I would like to
> suggest that the implementation of the main column should be based on
> 'em' width instead of 'px'. When done properly, the width will be the
> same for the standard font size, but increasing font size will increase
> the width of the column. This allows users who choose larger font sizes
> (due to vision or resolution issues) to still read main-column text with
> more than 3 words per line, while still preserving the designer's choice
> of a specific words-per-line goal. :)

Good thought.  I just did a font resize in FF, and all remained
readable, but it looks quite squished because of the fixed width. Maybe
not enough to get troubled over, but worth considering a change.

> 2) I like that the Firefox website has a huge "DOWNLOAD NOW" button. The
> most common activity for the site is really, really easy to find. Ruby's
> homepage should, of course, be about more than downloading Ruby.
> However, I suspect that the Download action is more common that the
> current design emphasizes. My suggestion is to (somehow) make that
> action more prominent than its current (near-hidden) location. Perhaps
> as simple as a 'download' icon following the "Download Ruby" words.

Good point.  Why not have a banner or link right across the top?

> 4) I'd like to see dates on articles like
> http://new.ruby-lang.org/en/community/ruby-core/

Dates are good.  Yes, they can make things look, well, dated, but it can
be frustrating to read an item, believe it is current, then find out it
is old news.

James Britt

"Discover the recipes you are using and abandon them."
  - Brian Eno and Peter Schmidt, Oblique Strategies