[Vit-discuss] Ruby-Lang Redesign Feedback Requested

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 16:52:38 EDT 2006

John W. Long wrote:
> We are getting really close to launching the new Ruby-Lang Web site and
> could use your help! Almost all of the technical details are finished
> and we are polishing the last little bit of content.
> If you have a minute, zip on over to the new Web site and click around:
> http://new.ruby-lang.org
> See something amiss or askew? Let us know. This isn't a time for
> nit-picking, but if you see something misspelled or believe something to
> be unclear, speak up! Please keep comments short, positive, and to the
> point. We've put a lot of work into this and would like to put it live
> as soon as possible.

Great work, much thanks to all involved.

Main nit:

It's not a design issue, but content.  The 'community/weblogs/' page
scores big by showing people how to find Ruby blogs; it falls down by
then suggestion certain blogs as being special.  I think a case could be
made for mentioning Matz' blog, but that's it.  Why (for example) is the
Rails blog mentioned?  No Nitro blog props?    What about the scores of
other Ruby apps people use or support?  Where's Ruby Code & Style?

It's a slippery slope, and I'd prefer not to see any library, group,
site, or developer get special mention.  (Other than Matz.)

Minor nit:

On the documentation page, there is a link to ruby-doc.org. The linked
word is spelled "RubyDoc".  There is a domain, rubydoc.org, that was
once run by a Ruby hacker, but it is defunct.  To avoid people
mis-associating the non-hyphened name with the Ruby documentation site,
I'd prefer that references to the site use the hyphen (ruby-doc or
Ruby-doc or ruby-doc.org or whatever).

James Britt

(Disclosures: I'm one of the O'Reilly Ruby bloggers, I'm editor-in-chief
of Ruby Code & Style, and I run ruby-doc.org)