[Vit-discuss] question about ads

Ben Giddings bg-rubytalk at infofiend.com
Sat Mar 12 15:40:22 EST 2005

On Mar 12, 2005, at 08:16, David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:
>> I notice that ruby-lang.org has Google ads.  Is this likely to be the
>> case even after the re-design?
>
> I would hope not. I gather the revenue generated is minimal. Rather
> make up for that in a one-time pledge if funds are needed to run the
> site. Ads make the thing look cheap and are in my opinion unsuited for
> a site with the character of ruby-lang.

I don't think we're the ones who can decide about ads.  I think it will
be up to the people paying for hosting bandwidth.  In any case, I agree
with DHH.  I would hope that there are no ads, and if there are some
ads, that they are better than the google ones.

If ads are a necessity, I wonder if we can use better, targeted ads
that fit well with the design.  An idea might be to work out a deal
with Ruby-related commercial sites.  An example might be Basecamp HQ,
Snowdevil.ca, Textdrive.com (web hosting service with ROR).

Ben