[Vit-discuss] Re: [ANN] Redesign 2005 Blog

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 09:39:50 EST 2005

Douglas Livingstone wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 02:42:49 +0900, Anders Engström <aengstrom at gnejs.net> wrote:
>>I like the design of both layouts. But IMO this poll should really be
>>about selecting the "default" template for ruby-lang.org. I don't know
>>how flexible the (X)HTML is - but shouldn't it be possible to ship a
>>bunch of CSS's and let the user choose which one to use?
> It isn't quite that simple. The XHTML has the content, the CSS has the
> presentation, fine, but you'll notice that the layouts have different
> content. That means that we still have to pick one of the two (or make
> a mix or and things or remove things etc etc) you can't just say "use
> both".

I certainly hope that content & layout are not bound together when
selecting a layout.  The overall look and feel, and what is rendered
using that look and feel, are two different things.

For example, I much prefer the Clean layout, but see no reason for all
those "Ruby for #{language}" links, and throwing in for the Clean layout
is not to be taken as support for that particular content.