[Vit-discuss] MS Trebuchet?!

Todd Grimason todd at slack.net
Fri Mar 11 19:05:23 EST 2005

* Douglas Livingstone <rampant at gmail.com> [2005-03-11 18:50]:

> Michel's one: it is far too complicated. But you know what? The first
> thing I noticed about the blog page when I loaded it up: that Ruby
> Lang 2005 logo. Perfect. It has the simplicity of Michel's squares,
> but with a detail Ruby in the bottom right. It also uses the best font
> of the logos on display. The letters stand upright unlike the ones in
> Michel's demo, but they are uncluttered and strong unlike the one in
> John's logo.

Do we really want to use Microsoft Trebuchet for the typeface? Ick.
Besides any quasi-political rationales, it's made for on-screen body
text, not big "display" type.

I think it's going to be pretty tough to find a decent typeface that's
free. There's a reason the good ones cost money in general. And if only
one face was used (one weight/style), even top-notch fonts are quite
affordable - $25 or so often for a professional face. Families of a
particular typeface (light, medium, bold, italic, etc.) cost more
obviously, often over $100, but even then still reasonable. but even
then still reasonable. but even then still reasonable. but even then
still reasonable. but even then still reasonable. but even then still
reasonable. but even then still reasonable. Even in that case I'm sure
collecting $1 from a bunch of people wouldn't be a big hurdle...

Not that I have the perfect one in mind, just hoping those running the
show are willing to consider this ...