[Vit-discuss] Redesign 2005 Blog

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Fri Mar 11 09:43:12 EST 2005

OK, here's my take on this:

The Ruby Red one has aspects I like:

    the coloured boundaries to some regions and the lines (even though
    they are thin) help clarify the layout.  For such small details,
    they seem to help a lot with readability.

    I prefer the Ruby logo on this one to the other, but I'd want to
    put a bit of specular reflection on the top surface and on the
    bottom facets, so it looks more polished. But that's a very minor
    point, offered in the hope it's some use...

The "Clean" layout:

    This has a much nicer search box: I find the greater depth in the
    box helps it show up better, as well as the grey button.  But I
    don't know what functionality the other (2 box design) gives that
    this doesn't have.

    I like the explicit support for other languages in this design.

    The idea of presenting clear code is good.  It tends to make
    "hello World" look a bit laboured. though.  What about stea-- I
    mean borrowing with permission, the web download example from the
    Pickaxe, which shows how one can do serious work in a few lines?

Anyway, it's good stuff, keep it coming.  Can we see a mockup
directly, so we can critique it with obscure browsers, etc?

         Thank you,
         Hugh