[Vit-discuss] Redesign 2005 Blog

David Heinemeier Hansson david at loudthinking.com
Fri Mar 11 06:41:03 EST 2005

> We will be collecting feedback over the next week or so and discussing
> revisions to these designs.  Hopefully by next week we'll have a
> roadmap of when we can get some deeper pages and, then, a working
> prototype.

Very nice work! Both of them look good, but Ruby Red definitely has my
heart. That gem is just beautiful and I don't find anything corny in
playing on that reference.

While I contemplate further comments, I'd just like to answer this:

> Package management is in flux right now

In my mind, there is no flux. RubyGems has prevailed. I definitely
think the new site should anticipate the shortly arrival of RubyGems in
the standard library and focus its energy there. RubyForge is the link
for developers that wants to start their own projects and RAA is the
back catalogue for oldies, but goodies.

Just one more thing. If we are to show a code snippet, I think it would
be way more interesting to do it in a dynamic form. See the small gif
anims on http://macromates.com/ as an example.
David Heinemeier Hansson,
http://www.basecamphq.com/   -- Web-based Project Management
http://www.rubyonrails.org/  -- Web-application framework for Ruby