[Vit-discuss] Blogs Considered Harmful

Todd Grimason todd at slack.net
Thu Feb 24 17:08:12 EST 2005

* Alexander Kellett <ruby-lists at lypanov.net> [2005-02-24 16:58]:
> On Feb 24, 2005, at 10:47 PM, Todd Grimason wrote:
> >I don't really see a reason for it to be compelling for rubyists to
> >return often - I think php.net is the best example - it centralizes
> >conferences and user groups, and occasional "big" news. It is
> >otherwise totally focused on getting php or learning it (docs). This
> >lowers the need to constantly keep it up to date and "fresh", and
> >avoids political decisions on who gets to say what, and where.
> i visited php.net everyday while coding php, api's
> aren't just for beginners. i've been coding ruby
> for 3 years now and still need to look at the reference
> to various core classes several times a day.

Yep, me too - that's why I also said:
"The only likely return visits by regular rubyists is likely to be to
pull down a copy of the source, or a shortcut to the online docs."

I especially like just being to type:

http://php.net/strip_tags # or any function/keyword

I use that all the time. I'm just saying it doesn't need to be like a
daily community hangout. That kind of content is best done (and run)
by the community itself. And big news and basic info should be front
and center, not the latest entry in the obfuscated contest or a debate
over some little corner of the language.

> at the very least i would be compelled to return frequently.
> especially if important news would show up.

Right - like php.net - I think we're saying the same thing, I just
gave the wrong impression by saying it doesn't need to "entice" those
already using the language. It should of course serve their(our)
needs, but since we sorta know where we're going, it doesn't need to
be as blatant.