[Vit-discuss] Blogs Considered Harmful

Todd Grimason todd at slack.net
Thu Feb 24 16:47:06 EST 2005

* Zach Dennis <zdennis at mktec.com> [2005-02-24 16:30]:
> The thing I like about blogs is that blogs continually changed (except
> for RubyGarden?), and it makes you want to go back and check them out.
> But I think blogs could be talked about at a later date once things are
> farther along if we need to bring in more content.

This is speaking to what I mentioned a few days ago - user personas -
in other words, what types of users will be visiting ruby-lang. I
think it will be mostly newcomers, manager-types (hopefully), and the
curious. The only likely return visits by regular rubyists is likely
to be to pull down a copy of the source, or a shortcut to the online

I don't really see a reason for it to be compelling for rubyists to
return often - I think php.net is the best example - it centralizes
conferences and user groups, and occasional "big" news. It is
otherwise totally focused on getting php or learning it (docs). This
lowers the need to constantly keep it up to date and "fresh", and
avoids political decisions on who gets to say what, and where.

Until the reason for the existence of the site is locked down,
clearly and explicitly, discussion will go in circles...