[Vit-discuss] I'm getting the manager!

Ben Giddings bg-rubytalk at infofiend.com
Thu Feb 24 13:02:27 EST 2005

Todd Grimason wrote:
> I think the point raised by David HH from Rails to someone here about
> "design by committee" has made its first appearance already. Whomever
> is running this show should probably just make the call or this is
> likely to continue indefinitely, ad nauseum, and people will get
> frustrated and leave.
> Over a year ago I tried to help out with a similar project for python,
> and this exact situation brought it down in flames. Everyone spent
> lots of time and effort, all for naught since there was no "manager"
> and eventually Guido actually stepped in and shut down the effort. I
> think we should try to avoid a similar outcome (though matz sounds a
> bit more carefree [in a good way]!)

Only a couple of problems, we don't really have any managers (yet) and
this was labelled a "brainstorming" topic, so it's not too bad that it
would get out of hand.

Meanwhile, people like Hugh Sasse are still contributing useful comments
to the other threads (accessibility, etc).

I think we can abandon this discussion for the moment, although
eventually a decision will need to be made about what gets hosted on
ruby-lang.org, and what gets pointed to instead.  I don't think the two
sides are all that far apart.  If I read things correctly, James Britt
says he thinks the core API docs should be hosted on ruby-lang.org as
well, so it's really just a matter of where do we draw the line.  Since
that's something that may be dictated by the final look of the site,
then it probably makes sense to wait.