[Vit-discuss] I'm getting the manager!

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 11:58:15 EST 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:20:01 -0600, Curt Hibbs <curt at hibbs.com> wrote:
> If you all recall, I laid out the ground rules in my original posts at the
> beginning of this week:
>
> - The core visual design team will consist of no more
>  than 3 people (must be actual producing contributors,
>  not mere commentators).
>
> - This group will do the hard work of the redesign in tight
>  collaboration and periodically present their results to the
>  rest of us for feedback.
>
> - This feedback will be considered advisements which
>  the core team will be free to accept or reject at their
>  discretion.
>
> This should give each of us influence over the final result while avoiding
> the gridlock and committee-style blandness that often accompanies larger
> groups.
>
> This was the week to find out who is willing to be on the team, as well as
> brainstorm for the initial input to the core team. I will be appointing the
> core team by the end of this week. So that work can begin in earnest next
> week (I will set up a separate mailing list for them to converse in their
> working deliberations).

Thanks for the clarification.  Does "visual team" also include
information architecture, i.e. what the site is supposed to *do*
independent (sort of) of specific layout and theme?  Some of the mock
ups I've seen from earlier discussions on ruby-talk seem to take the
current content and behavior of ruby-lang as a given.

Much of the discussion of late here seems to be focused on who are the
target audiences, what are their needs, and how might these needs be
addressed.    If these things are not clear, then a visual team may
not have enough information to produce an appropriate draft, and
people will have no clear means to judge whether the draft satisfies
the requirements beyond personal aesthetic taste.

There is an argument to be made for simply taking ruby-lang as-is, not
altering any content or behavior, and just addressing matters of
usability and aesthetics.   Get that done, then reconvene to see about
the deeper issues.  Maybe that is the correct scope of of a visual
identify team, and perhaps what was intended all along, but the vit
wiki suggests a broader set of goals.

James