[Vit-discuss] I'm getting the manager!

Curt Hibbs curt at hibbs.com
Thu Feb 24 11:20:01 EST 2005

Todd Grimason wrote:

> I think the point raised by David HH from Rails to someone here about
> "design by committee" has made its first appearance already. Whomever
> is running this show should probably just make the call or this is
> likely to continue indefinitely, ad nauseum, and people will get
> frustrated and leave.
>
> Over a year ago I tried to help out with a similar project for python,
> and this exact situation brought it down in flames. Everyone spent
> lots of time and effort, all for naught since there was no "manager"
> and eventually Guido actually stepped in and shut down the effort. I
> think we should try to avoid a similar outcome (though matz sounds a
> bit more carefree [in a good way]!)

If you all recall, I laid out the ground rules in my original posts at the
beginning of this week:

- The core visual design team will consist of no more
  than 3 people (must be actual producing contributors,
  not mere commentators).

- This group will do the hard work of the redesign in tight
  collaboration and periodically present their results to the
  rest of us for feedback.

- This feedback will be considered advisements which
  the core team will be free to accept or reject at their
  discretion.

This should give each of us influence over the final result while avoiding
the gridlock and committee-style blandness that often accompanies larger
groups.

This was the week to find out who is willing to be on the team, as well as
brainstorm for the initial input to the core team. I will be appointing the
core team by the end of this week. So that work can begin in earnest next
week (I will set up a separate mailing list for them to converse in their
working deliberations).

So far the possible choices are:

- Ben Giddings
- John Long
- Michel Martens
- Why the Lucky Stiff

If you don't want to be on this list, let me know. If want to be on the list
and you're not, let me know.

Thanks,
Curt