[Vit-discuss] I'm getting the manager!

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 11:05:20 EST 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:31:54 +0100, David Heinemeier Hansson
<david at loudthinking.com> wrote:
> > I think the point raised by David HH from Rails to someone here about
> > "design by committee" has made its first appearance already. Whomever
> > is running this show should probably just make the call or this is
> > likely to continue indefinitely, ad nauseum, and people will get
> > frustrated and leave.
> I couldn't agree more. I'm sorry, but I've already tuned out of the
> discussions. IMHO, there's nothing to talk about the first draft from
> the 3-person crew is available. "Getting Real" is what we call it in
> 37signals.

Nothing to talk about?

Was the purpose of forming a mailing list and inviting participants
just to select a 3-person crew?

Where is the first draft of the site? There is no link on the vit
wiki, and I can't find anything from browsing the pages.

On a related note, maybe that 3-person crew could put an actual site
at http://vit.rubyforge.org/

'Coming soon!' doesn't speak well of a Web design group. (They'll
likely be less discussion about that site anyway.)

I don't want to see endless discussion on side topics, but I do have
to wonder about a discussion list that discourages discussion.

The Vit wiki says this:

"Right now we are just getting started. Take a moment if you can and
help us organize this site. What are our goals? What is our true
purpose (please edit the above). How should the RubyLangDotOrg
redesign proceed? How can/should people contribute?"  It then
encourages people to join the mailing list.

I get the impression from this that the project is, um, just getting
started, and that discussion is encouraged.  If discussion is over, or
certain topics are now off-limits, then perhaps the site should
clarify this.

Of course, if the site is out of date, I have to admit I enjoy the irony.