[Vit-discuss] content refreshness or lack of [was Brainstorming]

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 10:52:21 EST 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:02:18 -0500, Ben Giddings
<bg-rubytalk at infofiend.com> wrote:
> Ok, but would you agree that there are certain resources that really do
> belong on the Ruby homepage?  I really think that certain things *need*
> to be there, like the Ruby API and standard library docs.  They're one
> of the first things a newcomer to the language would want to see, and
> if they're not on the Ruby homepage and up-to-date, a newcomer might
> not believe they're official.

I'm far from sure about the "not believe they're official" claim.  It
gets a lot of play from some people, but my gut feeling is that it is
an imagined issue, with no empirical substantiation.

But, either way, I  agree that the core docs should be on the site.
The main API is obviously easy to generate.  The standard lib package
as hosted on ruby-doc.org  is built using a special tool and uploaded
by Gavin Sinclair to ruby-doc.org.  There's no reason (off the top of
my head) it couldn't also be ftp'ed or mailed to someone at ruby-lang
at the same time.

Of course, ruby-lang could simply linked to the appropriate pages on
ruby-doc.org, too.  I'm a big fan of intuitive URLs, and would like it
if one could type

and go to the appropriate page.  Even if that page just linked or
redirected to someplace else.

It's not that all of that should be hosted on ruby-lang, but I can
imagine people expecting to find certain links or pages.  Reasonable
behavior by the user should be met by reasonable behavior from the
site.  But there's the matter of defining "reasonable."

> Sure, not everything Ruby-related needs to go on ruby-lang.org, but I
> think there should be more there than there is now.  There should be at
> least enough to convince people that Ruby should be taken seriously.
> Newcomers shouldn't *need* to go elsewhere to find important resources.

On a related but different topic, Ruby could use an up-to-date,
complete, free user manual.  The 1st version of Programming Ruby (AKA
The Pickaxe) is excellent, but not current.  Plus there are numerous
things in the standard lib that are not even mentioned.

Yes, newcomers would do well to go buy the current version of
Programming Ruby, but they shouldn't have to.  In an ideal world,
every copy of Ruby would come with a complete manual.

Just food for thought.