[Vit-discuss] content refreshness or lack of [was Brainstorming]

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 10:32:17 EST 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:07:30 +0000 (WET), Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng
<hgs at dmu.ac.uk> wrote:

> What should it contain?
>
>     <ul><%  ruby_sites.sort_by{|x| x.date}.reverse.each{|site| %>
>     <li><a href="<%= site.url %>"><%= site.title %></a> [<%
>     site.date %>]</li>
>     <% } %></ul>
>
> i.e a list of sites sorted by last update, most recent first.
> ISTR ruby-lang used to have a page like this.
>         Hugh

Ah, yes, the Ruby Hot Links page or something like that.  I think it
relied on a given page having a certain header comment with the last
update time.  And, of course, the person who maintained the list had t
know about your site to begin with.

I recall having assorted problems getting rubyxml.com to correctly
show up on the list whenever I added new content.  After a while I
just forgot about it.

It seemed a good example of the problems with human-maintained content.

Ideally, some magic Ruby app should Google for sites, intelligently
figure out which ones are specifically focused on Ruby (as opposed to
periodically mentioning), and  list them by some infallible
last-update metric.

Ruby Quiz fodder, perhaps.

James